Almost home! Last night in a hotel. We traveled early again on this day. We made good time getting to Kansas City, MO. We saw the Gateway arch from a distance while on the road.
Once we got to our hotel in Kansas City we made a plan to relax and figure out a good place for dinner and what to sightsee.
After giving the kids a rest of about an hour we went to Liberty Jail that was about a 40 minute drive away.
We joined a tour of local youth at the jail. After listening to their conversation it was obvious they visit the jail often. I will admit I didn't know what to expect from the jail. A friend years ago gave a sharing time and bore her testimony of her experience about her visit to the jail. After all this time I still remember her sharing time and how the spirit touched her while on her visit and me as she talked about it.
It was humbling to feel the suffering that took place there.
There was an older man in our group that stood out to me. He was there for a work conference not far from the jail and stopped in to take a tour because he promised his wife that had just recently passed away (not even 2 weeks) he would go and do this. I can't remember if he was an inactive member or a non member. It made me sad to see him siting in his car for so long after our tour. Jason encouraged me to go and talk to him because he could tell I couldn't let it go. Just listening to his story made me stop and count my blessings. He had lost his wife and 2 daughters over a few years. I did something that I had never done before. I bore my testimony to this total stranger and promised him he would see his family again.
On our drive back home we stopped and had dinner at Gates BBQ. It's a locals favorite restaurant. Maddie and I thought it was ok food but Korbin and Jason loved it! It was a surprise to see Korbin finish his large plate of food. After all this time I now know he has a good size stomach hiding in that small body of his.
Post 14 of 16
Location: Missouri, Illinois
2 comments:
Mmmmmmm....Gates BBQ. The only place that can get away with yelling at you because of the amazing food they produce.
What a great missionary moment. I'm so proud of you! I'm glad Jason made you seize the day.
Post a Comment