Monday, June 13, 2011

Moab

After only sleeping on our beds for a few nights we were off again on another trip.
 Jason's work team earned some trip money and it was a unanimous vote for a Moab trip. The trip was a 3 day trip with dinners,rafting,Jeep Safari and socializing.
No kids on this trip just grown ups, so our friend April watched the kids. We dropped the kids off at Amity's house around 1 or 2 and headed to Moab. By the time we got to Moab I was ready to come home, just sitting in the car for that long so soon was a little tiring. Jason got an earful of my nervousness of rafting the whole way down. He heard every excuse in the book for me to flake out on the fun adventures planned for us. Jason was a good husband and said you're going.

We checked in and had a little bit of time socializing with everyone before dinner. Dinner was not the best so we left the night owls shortly after and went for a walk and grabbed some dessert with some friends and then called it a night. We had to be up and ready to go early the next day.

The agenda for the day was Jeep Safari, break, rafting/lunch/rafting followed by another break and finishing the night with dinner.
Moad Adventures picked us up with 5 Hummers along with 5 tour guides from our motel The Rustic Inn. We lucked out with the tour guide we picked. A true Moab native who seemed to be more into this kinda stuff than the others. He drove faster,did more tricks, made a few of us scream and got the vehicle on only 2 wheels plus made all of us laugh so hard most of the time. No secret than I'm afraid of heights however I was so into this ride and the cliffs on both side of the car didn't bother me as much as it really should have. Our camera died soon after beginning. Go figure! Beautiful Moab in a way we had never seen it and no camera. We used our cell phones for pictures. The ride only lasted maybe an hour but was very cool and I would love to do it again someday with the kids.




























We took a small break and then walked to Moab Adventures pick up spot to be bussed to the river. We heard the river was running really high. Good because rapids would be less bad because it would be running really fast.

The rafting was split into 2 parts with a lunch stop in the middle at Red Cliff Lodge.

No one would be able to leave me behind in the water with my bright yellow water proof jacket. I'm sure Jason loved every minute I wore it.


The first part of the rafting wasn't as bad as I thought. We paddled when neccesary hung out and joked around. The water did most of the work. It really was much better than I thought it would be.

After our lunch stop of good food I lost the jacket. Bad idea. The water was freezing and the whole team attacked each others rafts.

 A lot of laughter and joking around was the end result plus a lot of fun. We ended way ahead of schedule due to  how fast the river was running so we had plenty of time to shop and go check out our pictures from rafting at a souvenir shop.











Dinner was reserved at The Red Cliff Lodge. It was great and made up for the previous nights dinner. We ate dinner overseeing the river and the sunset was beautiful. It was a great and fun day.

Our third day in Moab was our departure day. Everyone was doing different things at different times.  We ate breakfast early with a few other and then our plan was to do some hiking before going home. We hiked to Delicate Arch and drove around for a bit and then decided we wanted to be home.
























 Usually we would squeezed every minute of being away but this time we just wanted to get back.
It was a great trip for Jason and I to get away and spend time each other and with people I hear a lot about and I tried something I never would have done if the opportunity like this didn't present itself and my answer to Jason was maybe when he asked if I would ever raft again.




4 comments:

EmWJ said...

So fun. Like you, I probably wouldn't choose to do the jeep part, but would think trying it would be cool. I've always wanted to see delicate arch though, someday.

And bummer about the timing being so close to the other trip. I'm learning that putting too many exhaustingly fun things together makes the last moments not as great.

dcscrivy said...

Way to be brave and do things that scare you! I would have been really scared to do the rafting, since I am scared of drowning! Moab is so pretty and fun, I am so glad you got to go and enjoy it.

amity said...

what a great trip!! it makes me want to pack up and head south!! i love moab. just not in the dead of summer.

Malinda said...

Ditto to Crystal's "way to be brave!" I'm so impressed that you conquered your fears.

I've lived in Utah my whole life and have never been to Moab. Maybe next year.