Saturday, May 28, 2011

Road Trip Day 1

We left on Saturday May 28th at about 5 AM for our trip. Our destination was Lincoln Nebraska. It was the longest drive time of the entire trip. Jason had calculated it would be 13 + hours in the car. Yes! We're nuts.
The kids slept a lot this day. Korbin woke up somewhere in Wyoming from his first nap and said he knew we were out of Utah because there wasn't much to see out of his window and then decided to go back to bed.
We drove thru some snow/rain mixture in WY and scored a steal of a deal on some Teva's for Mads-Mads at a Sierra Trading Post outlet. It was a huge outlet with some killer deals.
We stopped and ate lunch at a rest stop somewhere in Nebraska
 and let the kids go wild for a little while.








After lunch we drove all the way to Lincoln with only stops for gas and restroom breaks.
We saw many small lakes along the freeway (Ogallala, Ne). We listened to satellite radio and also started the Percy Jackson series. Learned about a singer named Tiffany. Drove past the Kool-Aid museum (we missed the exit so we didn't stop in). Talked about fireflies and tried to research our best chances of seeing them.
It was finally about 7 when we checked into our hotel, stretched for a minute and decided to go and find some dinner. Our McD's breakfast ruined any want of fast food for the day but we figured as long as our day had been sitting at a restaurant wasn't happening plus the kids wanted to hit the giant bathtub (Jason's description of the pool) at the hotel asap. So we ate KFC for dinner and hit the pool. 
This concludes our visit to Lincoln Nebraska and Day 1 of our trip.
Post 2 of 16.
Location: UT, WY,NE,

5 comments:

Malinda said...

You had never heard of Tiffany?!? Man, you really are young. Nate and I watched her "I think we're alone now" music video the other night and laughed and laughed. It is funny to look back and see the people/things/styles that were popular when we were in junior high (when you were 4) and see how lame they really were.

I'm surprised your kids slept so much. Our kids don't believe in sleeping on long trips. Aside from a 15 minute nap by Elise, Abby is the only one that slept at all on our whole trip.

EmWJ said...

Tiffany wasn't my love, but I loved her music! When it would start playing on the bus, everyone would start singing "I think we're alone now! Doesn't seem to be anyone around. I think we're alone now. The beating of our hearts is the only sound."

Check out the video since it was filmed in Ogden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826PTEuHKhE

Claudy said...

Just finished the video. I vaguely remember the song but I don't recall the name Tiffany.
What can I say... at the sweet age of 4 I listened to what my parents played. I guess I never figured out I had a choice in music.

Celeste Ferguson said...

Sounds like a fun trip so far!! :) I am a little jealous!

amity said...

i feel old compared to you!! i also loved tiffany!! i will never forget the dance that my friends and i made up to "i think we're alone now."

the drive is always the longest part of the trip. glad your kids traveled well and slept a lot. i am with malinda. my kids don't really sleep on trips. where did you get the percy jackson series? did you buy them? i might have to borrow them sometime.