Monday, February 13, 2012

Say What!?!


About two months ago while running errands Korbin announced that he wanted to join the student council at his school. He was really excited about it!
 I did a subtle happy dance in the car. Jason was surprised as well by the news. We wanted to play it cool since this wasn't something Korbin would normally do. Yes, join groups/things! We asked him a few questions about it during dinner that night. There was no pressure to join, no election or voting, all he had to do was sign up and he was in. We also asked him if any of his friends were joining and he said he didn't ask anyone but it wouldn't matter because he was doing it anyway. This for some reason made me extra excited and happy to see him be independent. So far he's really enjoyed it! The only bummer is the meetings are early. However it's only once every other week so it's not bad.

About two weeks after joining student council Korbin decided he wanted to join the choir too. Say What!?!
Choir, I wasn't really supportive of. All I saw on the sign up sheet was twice a week practices at 7:35 am. Madison said NO way would she join. In the end we let him join and he's really enjoying it and I haven't heard him complain once so it's definitely been worth the two trips I make to the school on Tuesdays and Thursdays mornings.

It doesn't end there, during the school's PTC he totally surprised me again. He signed up to help out at the book fair for two hours right after school. He didn't even ask if he could do it he just let us know he needed a ride home. This he didn't enjoy much at all. I guess it wasn't easy work chasing kids around and cleaning up after them. I'm still glad he did it and he learned not everything is easy in life.

Needless to say Korbin's changing and we like him being a little bit more open and making his own choices and not being afraid to go for them.

Korbin is really a great kid. A little sassy lately which needs to go away but still he's a great kid and we love him! Something else that's changing is his hair. He's had the same haircut/style since he's had hair (age 2) with only slight variations, we're switching it up a bit and growing it out.  He's had a few compliments so far not from girls thankfully. He still thinks girls are gross. 

2 comments:

Malinda said...

This post made me laugh out loud three times. Korbin is a good kid. I'm glad he is being brave and trying new things. And, I'm glad you and I are both figuring out how to raise growing boys at the same time. It's all new territory!

dcscrivy said...

What a great young man Korbin is becoming! It isn't surprising, he has great parents. It is great to see kids take initiative and interest in things.