Korbin got his kit about a month before the derby with a set of rules and guidelines to follow. They also informed us they hired someone to come out with a fancy track to race the cars. It all sounded and looked pretty official which added to the thrill of building the fastest car. The boys had loads of time to work on the car during our spring break (Jason took had the week off). They spent their time either in the garage or at Lowe's getting supplies for his car. I had to laugh when the cashier at Lowe's mentioned how close we must live to come in so often. Nice!
Korbin's first idea of what he wanted his car to look like was a replica of a Snicker's bar. After Jason found out about it he talked Korbin into something a little more aerodynamic (or so we thought). The car only weigh 2.4 ounces after it was finished. Some weights had to be added to it to meet the 5 ounces permitted. Jason also bought some stuff to make it faster, read a lot of stuff online, I also read some tricks of the trade online and we bought some decals and all sorts of stuff. His car wasn't a cheap project by the end.
His cool black stealthy car got 13th place overall and his average time was 2.4370. He raced it a few times. After all their hard work put into it and time I thought it would have done a little bit better but Korbin seemed ok and was happy. Korbin got a trophy at the end of the meeting and a certificate for participating. He just loved hanging and sharing all the fun with his friends. I walked away a little bit during the race but that's ok.
Some good memories have been made from this derby race. I have loved hearing and listening to the conversations Korbin and Jason have carried out about his derby car at the dinner table and other random places. Good stuff!
So far Korbin has done three different derby's. He's done the Space Derby and Raingutter Regatta. I think we'll be able to squeeze one more derby before he leaves for Boys Scouts.
His cool black stealthy car got 13th place overall and his average time was 2.4370. He raced it a few times. After all their hard work put into it and time I thought it would have done a little bit better but Korbin seemed ok and was happy. Korbin got a trophy at the end of the meeting and a certificate for participating. He just loved hanging and sharing all the fun with his friends. I walked away a little bit during the race but that's ok.
Some good memories have been made from this derby race. I have loved hearing and listening to the conversations Korbin and Jason have carried out about his derby car at the dinner table and other random places. Good stuff!
So far Korbin has done three different derby's. He's done the Space Derby and Raingutter Regatta. I think we'll be able to squeeze one more derby before he leaves for Boys Scouts.

4 comments:
If they gave a prize for over-thinking things/putting in too much effort, we would have tied for first. :)
i am a horrible friend!! i totally forgot to get those pictures to you. please feel free to slap me upside the head the next time you see me. i am going to go download them right now!! i will try to get you your flashdrive tomorrow.
When I was in 8th grade we made cars in art class, mine sucked, especially compared to Korbin's. that is great that Jason and him could bond over that "manly" stuff.
Cool car!
Post a Comment