I'm hitting a blogging slump. My new goal is to set aside time for at least one post per week. Life just keeps getting crazier and crazier and busier and busier. Blogging has been an absolutely fabulous way of keeping a family journal so I want to keep it up. If you see me slaking please e-mail and complain. I might need the peer pressure.
pies...pies...pies.....

For a long time now Jason has wanted a Strawberry Rubard pie. His great grandma made it once and he fell in love with rubard years and years ago, before 1998. To make a long story short I finally made my first Rubard Strawberry pie last week. I made it and Jason loved it. He was eating it straight from the pie tin after his first slice. The kids and I have learned we're not rubard fans. Maybe it will grow on us after trying it a dozen times.

After the rubbard pie I needed some peach in me. The plan for today was to make 2 peach pies. Fast and easy and have them ready by 3. A pie for us and one for the Lucena's (they just had baby#4). The pies weren't ready until 5:30 and I didn't make them. Maddie and Marina both made a peach pie each. I only helped the girls by giving them the right measuring cups/spoons and letting them know what ingredients to use, chopping up the peaches, and adding water to the dough. It was hard to just let them go. They added two extra ingredients(that I noticed). A half bottle of cinnamon (Maddie) and sneezing into the filling (Marina). I couldn't help but laugh, I'm sure the laughter was a side effect of me not trying to be a little grossed out. They we're so happy and exited it was worth the extra germs and cinnamon taste. It was a great self esteem buster for the girls. Maddie had a few slices for dessert, she didn't stop until her tummy hurt. It was great!
3 comments:
Mmm. Strawberry Rhubarb is one of my faves, I'll have to get the recipe!
You are so good to let them do it themselves. I have a really hard time doing that. Glad they turned out well.
I was just about to say that I wanted a pie until you said the sneezing part. Yuck! I'm impressed that you let them just go for it. I'm too much of a control freak when I let the kids help me bake. I need to loosen up.
Post a Comment