Let's start with Korbin... We bought him his very own brand new bike for Christmas a few years ago. He used it here and there, but who wouldn't it had training wheels. After our camping trip with the Eckardt clan last summer we decided if Jake can ride a bike so can Korbin. So we took off his training wheels after we got home. Yeah! That didn't work out like we thought it would. He refused to use it at all after that and only served as an ornament in the garage. But last Thursday at my aunts house, out of the blew he decided it was time. (Hint:It helps to watch younger cousins use their bikes without training wheels). Henry was kind enough to let Korbin use his bike. Jason and Korbin where outside most of night. It was fun watching them together. We live on a hill so it's either up or down hill around here and not bike friendly territory, so the next day I took the kids back down to my aunts house where it's nice and flat so Korbin could keep practicing. He was still a bit rusty but could stay on for a bit longer than the previous night. Poor Korbin ran into 1 rose bush and 1 green brush and then a tree. He had a lot of cuts and bruises. After all the excitement he decided it was time to call it good and time to have fun with cousins. I loved Korbin's little comments here and there, "I ran into two sore bushes", " This is harder than driving (spoken from experience I guess)" and my ultimate favorite is when he turned around and said "Mom can you ride your bike with no handle bars, no handle bars, no handle bars "with a huge smile smile across his face. While we were in California we couldn't stay away from this trendy song by Flobots, it seemed to be everywhere. Kids pick up everything they hear! I'm just glad that they only remember that small part, they drove my sister crazy singing it over and over again.
On Sat. while I was making dinner Jason took the kids down to Green Acres track to ride bikes again. Jason officially confirmed it, he can ride his bike!
On Sat. while I was making dinner Jason took the kids down to Green Acres track to ride bikes again. Jason officially confirmed it, he can ride his bike!
Now Maddie is more of the adventurous kind... A week ago we went on a bike ride with our fun neighbors. We went to a secret park nearby. I call it the secret park because I had never known about it until a few months ago when we went on a Sunday walk and Jason showed it to us. Anyway, while we were at the park Marina had no training wheels on her bike and was kind enough to share it with Maddie so she could try riding it. Madison managed to stay on for about 4 seconds (seemed way longer to me) without any help. She might have gone further but I freaked out and helped her again. I'm actually surprised she even got on it in the first place, I reminded her a thousand times to just jump off really fast if she lost control so she wouldn't get hurt. Really, who would go on a bike after my speech. That night Jason and I agreed that Maddie would more than likely ride her bike faster than Korbin, but didn't really think much of it after that. She's just daring! Then on Sunday, the very next day after Korbin really got the hang of ridding his bike, we took off Maddie's training wheels. We went to the track again and when we got there Jason and I assumed it would take her a few day for her to get the hang of it. We we're wrong! We help her for a few seconds and she was off. That was it. Life's crazy with our kids but we love ever minute of it. You never know what will happen next!
On Monday night I jump on Jason's idea that it's time for us to purchase mountain bikes. His idea is a year old, I just joined so I'm still a little confused but I'm sure he's got it all figured out. We ordered them online and are now waiting for the manufacturer to ship them in 4 to 6 weeks. Hahaha! I should have joined Jason's idea sooner!
3 comments:
That is too funny . . . Ben just learned how to ride his bike without training wheels on Monday. I'm glad to know that he wasn't the last 7 year old on earth to learn! Your not kidding about the hill not being bike friendly.
Good work Korbin and Maddie!
Claudi - how are you guys doing? I found your blog through Malinda's blog. We have one too. What is your e-mail address, I'll send you an invite, because it's private. E-mail me - ames_dale@hotmail.com
-Amy Clarke
P.S. Way to go Korbin and Maddie!
YAY! for my niece and nephew. I'm so proud of them. and YES they drove me NUTS with that song!!! I just saw the kids but i already feel like they grown so much. love you
Proud of you mad & korb!!! love you monkeys!
Post a Comment