Sunday, August 7, 2011

Summer water

This summer we've had a few fun/lazy/structured and unstructured water days.

Country Club Pool
With Synda in town we used the country club pool more this summer than any other. We had about 4 cousin swim dates there. The kids enjoyed swimming and ordering food.


North Shore
Malinda, Callie and I scored a fabulous deal to North Shore for this summer. The week after we got back from Moab. Wendy, Callie and I went to North Shore with the kids. The kids had so much fun and ran around and had a blast. I heard all about our Stake girls camp this year. I'm so excited when Madison gets to go in 4 years.

Later in the summer on a sunny day I took Korbin and Madison to North Shore with a friend each. The kids of course had fun and kept well entertained and I didn't have to get in the water once. I even bought myself a treat and just relaxed.



From the deal we scored it included some Zumba passes. We finally found a night when Callie,Malinda and I could go together. We got ready and went down ready for a night of unknown dancing only to be told classes ended the week before. They should really have the expiration day match the last day of the class.

Surf N Swim
This summer we went to Surf N Swim twice. Once with cousins and once with Malinate and the kids.

The first round was with cousins. McKenzie is such a sweet sport. She really is the example of what a perfect older sibling and cousin should be. She didn't leave Madison and Emery even though some of her friend were there. She always teaches them what they should be doing in a really positive way. Jake was a brave young man and went off the diving board a few times. Dena and Ryan were going on a trip with the kids to Florida and were planning on doing some water parks and other stuff and Dena really wanted Jake to build up his confidence in the water before the trip. With all the cousins going off the diving board he did it too. It was really good for him.  He's a great swimmer just needed a little encouragement to go off the diving board.



We really enjoy spending time with this gang. We spent a pleasant day/evening of water fun with them at the pool and afterwards for smores at Callie's. I was even able to squeeze in some lap swimming while Malinda and Nate watched the kids. Madison really surprised me and went off the diving board over and over even when I wasn't around. Something she's never done before. Maybe going with her cousins helped her self confidence. After so many swimming lessons I'm glad she's going for it.

Splash Pads
This summer we went to the splash pad twice.
Once with Mariana and her kids. She invited me to join her and her friends for an afternoon picnic and water play date for the kids. Mariana and her friends are amazing athletic women. I learned so much from them about living healthier. Sometimes I follow along and get the lingo and vocabulary sometimes I just nod and pretend I know what some grain or nut is (I do know what agave is now).  I'm also learning to be a great kid tracker at the splash pad. The two nearest splash pads I know of around here get so packed. I really wish our city would have put the splash pad that's in North Shore at a park instead. It would be used so much more.
(Pictures)

Our second trip to a splash pad was with Colton and Kyler on a Saturday. Russ and Lisa and the kids came down for a few days. Last trip before Colton started school in Colorado. Jason chased the kids around. Penny wanted to join them but couldn't. No dogs in the pad.


Swimming Lessons
The kids had the best swimming lessons we've ever done. It was convenient and the kids learned so much. We did session after session.
The swimming lessons were held at a neighbors pool. Diane was the instructor. She was amazing with all the kids. She was very patient and was strict on only five kids in the pool at a time. The kids rarely just sat around and they all had fun and never complained.
Korbin did three sessions and Madison two. The extra sessions were unplanned. During the first session Diane really encouraged me to have Korbin do more with swimming. After talking to Jason about it we jumped in and asked Diane what else we could do. He did two extra sessions with Conner and Conner's older brother learning different strokes and techniques. Korbin can really hold his breathe. I'm glad we have possibly found something Korbin can do as far as sports goes in the future.
Madison has a strong kick to her and that makes her a good swimmer too. She's timid in the water though but not as much as she use to be. It's so awesome to watch.
I signed up for a session too. A friend Amanda and I had two full weeks of swimming. We both would go home so tired. Diane didn't take it easy on us. She pushed us and I'm glad. We learned how to 'properly' swim. I still hate having my head in the water. It's just not normal. I think next year I'll do another session. Watching Diane dive was awesome! I dived too. I don't plan to do it often but push my kids to do it all the time.

No comments: